Identical twins Marine Corps in Iraq cross

Corporal Jason P. Abell and first deputy Bryan J. Abell, of Demasses, Maryland, were crossed as she turns to Iraq and the other leaves the hot desert.

First Lieutenant Abell, the Scout Sniper Platoon commander of 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment and the rest of his unit arrived in Iraq recently to replace his brother as reserve assets of the unit, Battalion 3 Marines 25, operating in the area during the past seven months.

Once I found out they were replacing 3.25, emailed him and let him know I was coming around, said First Lt. Abell. It was actually quite nice to hear, because we have not seen since September 2004.

As identical twins have been confusing people for years, once in the same area as the others, the marines mistook the two units. Many of them, without knowing the Abells were twins, confused for each other.

I've been called sir by people walking past me about 20 times since I got here, said the corporal. Abell.

And I've had Marines with 25.3 confusing to me how I became a lieutenant thought was, said 1st Lt. Abell pointing to his brother.

Prior to their meeting in Iraq, the two brothers joined the Marines a few years after graduating from high Demasses School in 1998. Body Abell joined the Reserve Marines in 2000 while attending Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus, Ohio, while his sister attended the U.S. Naval Academy.

Both were particularly interested in the Marines in high school, but I also knew that the university had to be a part of their lives. Therefore, the cape. Abell joined the reserve of a change of pace while going to college and the first deputy Abell joined the academy to get the best of both worlds, the university and the Marine Corps.

I finished my studies at the Naval Academy and was commissioned in the Marine Corps after graduating in law, said First Lt. Abell. It was a great way for me to get my degree and join the army, at the same time.

As Cpl. Abell leaves Iraq to return to Columbus, Ohio to continue his work as a freelance graphic designer and illustrator, first deputy Abell looks forward to the next seven months, with support of Operation Iraqi Freedom for the second time since he joined his unit a year ago. Knowing what to expect the second time he has made deployment easier for 1st Lt. Abell, but he did not expect to see his brother here.